Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Heartstrings Have Been Tugged

I need to explain how we acquired an orphaned bunny (I usually don't go out looking for abandoned wild critters)- let me just say that it started with a frantic phone call I got right before lunch.

Ring Ring (the phone always rings more when I am the only one in the office!)

Me: Hello, UT Extension
Caller: What? Is this the Ag office? (That's how we're widely known, but it's an old term.)
Me: Yes, this is UT Extension but our Ag Agent is at a meeting. Can I take a message?
Caller: Well, I heard that this was the place to call if you found abandoned animals & that you release them back into the wild.
Me: Well, that's a new one. (People have no idea what our office really does because through the years different Agents have focused on different subjects and Extension Agents usually do lots of "favors" for their communities, further blurring the line of our job description.) No, why don't you try the Wildlife Resources office?
Caller: (Tugging on my heartstrings.)My great grandson found a baby rabbit & I'm sure the neighborhood dogs got it's mother or else I'd let it go around here, I have a feeling the neighborhood dogs would get it. (Without it's mother it probably wouldn't survive long in the "wilderness" either.)
Me: (I thought about Scott's booming voice & knew he'd say not to take it in, but I couldn't knowingly let this precious creature perish. Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission when it comes to Scott - it's EASIER anyway!)Well, we don't rescue wildlife and release them back into their environments but I have a full grown rabbit at home and have a smaller cage, water bottles, and food - so bring it in & I'll take it home.
Caller: Oh thank you!! I'll bring it right in.

So, that's how we acquired this precious creature. When the kids got home we tried to feed it some sugary strawberry juice - because it's what we had & I was thinking it would surely like a sugary substance (the baby bunny hadn't eaten since this family found it on Sunday). Cole and Jessica got on the computer to find out what else we should do & we got the cage padded down & ready. Tomorrow I'll get some baby formula and a better dropper, Jess volunteered to miss school and help me get those items and go to the Vet. A Vet visit is on my list but I want to make sure the bunny makes it through tonight & tomorrow. From what we read on the net, baby bunnies minus a mother usually don't make it. :( We're prepared for that option but we're hoping & prayin' the little guy pulls through. I'll keep you updated!



10 comments:

  1. Hiya! Just saw your post over at Digi Scrap Addicts and wanted to come say Hi. Happy NSD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW...he's the cutest little thing!! Hope you can keep him alive, I've heard the same thing about orphaned baby bunnies :( Poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor bunny, hopefully it'll make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor bunny, I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy! I wish your new small family - member of all ,all love. He is so cute... and so little...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! What an adorable little bun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and tiny.

    My kids would love it if I brought home a baby rabbit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good heart! What a cute little bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy,

    I just saw your comment at Scrap Addicts and just wanted to say hi!

    I know how you feel, but the reality is people just don't seem to bother.

    I've had 150 downloads on a freebie and perhaps got 2 or 3 comments on it.

    That's life I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh. Looks like the kids are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Taste Of Home Recipe Widget