Thursday, January 14, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Ahhh – what a question! Do you remember the plans you had? I remember mine and remember that my plans changed from year to year: once I wanted to be a police officer, the next year I wanted to be a nurse, and then again I changed my mind and wanted to be a teacher! Well, none of those things happened. I ended up kind of doing all three things in one job (but I did not become Larry)! Talk about multitasking …!

Once I got to high school I decided on one career I really wanted to go into – but I didn’t dare tell anyone. See, I grew up right outside of Washington, DC – where most people are “successful”. I saw the other kids I went to school with as destined to go to college, get higher degrees, become doctors & lawyers (which many did become), and be “successful” like their parents. So I just kept my dream to myself – no one needed to know that what I wanted to be when I grew up was a good mother.
That was what I thought about – doing something good for my family, I’d be a stay-at-home mom. I loved the days I’d come home from school and mom was there to greet us. She sewed our costumes for plays at school. She was always the leader for our Girl Scout troops at school. Mom had the time to teach me to sew & cook, she had the patience required with 5 small children, and she was our first teacher! Of course I remembered things from my kid point of view – but it made an impression with me and so that’s what I wanted to do.
Life has a way of happening. The SAHM career was not going to work out for me. I was a stay-at-home mom for 6 months, after I got out of the military, and it was the busiest I’d ever been! It was clear though, that I’d have to go back to work - we just needed that additional income. So I had to get a job outside the house because there is no salary in being a SAHM.
I went back to college and got a degree in Family & Consumer Science (aka – Home Ec). The courses were exactly what I wanted to know more about and I had some experience in them already. Being a Family & Consumer Science Extension Agent is close to being a full-time mom. I just have MANY more kids to take care of! LOL! The pay is not great, but it’s better than what SAHMs get! ;) And – I can retire from Extension someday – can’t do that as a SAHM!

What did you want to be when you grew up? Did things happen the way you planned? Are you still working on that dream? I feel like I still have time to become whatever I want, when I grow up! LOL!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I'm STILL trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

    I was so sure I was going to do the big career thing. Had a bit of a taste of it to know that I could but the stressful job that hung over your head was not for me.

    NOBODY at my H.S. reunion could believe that I was a SAHM. I totally love it even though there are times that I think I might have to SCREAM!

    I loved reading your path to where you are - and I know that there are many more exciting avenues waiting for you to turn down them. I'll be here reading about your adventures when you do.

    Now - go make a scrapbook page using your exact journaling and pictures from you blog post. Get your digi-feet wet again! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Taste Of Home Recipe Widget